About Us

Air Inspect Australia is a Queensland based RPAS (Remotely Piloted Aircraft System) company that has been operating since 2018 backed by extensive aviation experience and specialist industry knowledge.

Since 2020, Air Inspect Australia has also been operating in Victoria. which allows the company to service customers located in multiple states.

Our skills and technology enable us to provide imagery solutions for restricted and limited areas. We efficiently access areas that previously required costly manual set-ups and equipment.

drone pilots qld - aerial imagery brisbane - drone services gold coast

Frequently Asked Questions

1. What is the meaning behind RePL?

RePL is the acronym for Remote Pilot Licence. A Remote Pilot Licence (RePL) allows you to fly remotely piloted aircraft (RPA) for commercial purposes or as part of your job in circumstances that need specialist training. It allows you to fly a drone larger than 2kg for commercial operations and allows you to fly outside the drone safety rules listed under Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA). Permits may be required for certain flights based on a number of different reasons.

2. What is the meaning behind ReOC?

ReOC is the acronym for Remotely Operator’s Certificate (ReOC). A ReOC allows your business to operate as a drone service provider, earning money for hire or reward, employ remote pilots (RePL holders) to conduct commercial jobs. 6 Keys Aerial and Air Inspect Australia follow internal Operations Manuals and Operational Procedures approved by CASA for commercial jobs.  This ensures we are always looking at safety first before we conduct any commercial jobs. 6 Keys Aerial and Air Inspect Australia ReOC number is 7160.

3. Who is CASA?

The Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) is responsible for the regulation of aviation safety in Australia. Whether you are a commercial drone pilot, an amateur/hobbyist drone pilot or a commercial airline pilot – these guys are the governing regulatory body for all AUS airspace requirements.

4. Do you have Public Liability Insurance?

We are strong advocates for public safety, and it is important that we carry public liability insurance of $20 million for an occurrence in connection with our business activities.

5. What do you use your drones for?

Drone Aerial Inspection

We specialise in asset integrity inspection and survey which is where our background lies within industry. The UAV lends itself particularly well to this in an industry that concentrates much of its time on safety improvements whilst trying new techniques to remain cost-effective.

Drone Thermographic Aerial Survey

We utilise thermal imaging sensors alongside standard RGB sensors which can be used to inspect for energy loss across a wide range of assets. They can be used to check for leakage across pipework, heat build-up in rotating equipment which might indicate failing components, building envelope inspections to check for permeation of insulation, excessive heat build-up in electrical components which could indicate premature failure. 

Land Survey

Drones are fast becoming the go-to choice for any land survey work obviously the immediate benefit being their ability to cover ground a great deal faster than traditional methods using a total station or theodolite. The end result can also be tied into pre-positioned ground control points giving an accurate reference when designing and constructing any new development.

3D Imaging and Point Cloud Analysis

As with the above drones are fast becoming the go-to choice for point cloud and 3d image development due to the speed and lack of limitations that are evident and the final product is usually better than the alternative. 3D modelling is a fantastic way to monitor maintenance routines on the likes of heritage sites or construction maintenance and can be used as a reference towards new construction developments. Point clouds are made up of a series of data points captured using overlapping images and referenced with the XYZ coordinates. They can be used to depict relative measurements or elevations and deviations and are a fantastic tool for surveyors.

Promotional Aerial Video / Aerial Photography

This speaks for itself in terms of functionality we are often asked to produce aerial video and or photography for companies that would like to promote their business or an upcoming event. We have the experience behind a camera and the equipment to create bespoke aerial footage for your promotional needs.

Construction Development Progression Reports

Another recently popular task is to provide monthly footage or imagery or new build construction developments that can be assigned to a progression report and handed over to relevant shareholders, providing them with the required evidence that their investment is “developing” over time.

6. I’m a beginner, where do I find out about the rules?

The Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) is responsible for the regulation of aviation safety in Australia. Whether you are a commercial drone pilot, an amateur/hobbyist drone pilot or a commercial airline pilot – these guys are the governing regulatory body for all AUS airspace requirements.

7. Do I need a permit to fly a drone?

In Australia, you do not need a permit to fly a drone for recreational purposes. The general rules for flying a drone:

  • You must keep your drone within visual line of sight. This means always being able to see the drone with your own eyes.
  • You must only fly one drone at a time.
  • You must only fly during the day and must not fly through cloud or fog.
  • You must not fly your drone higher than 120 meters above ground level.
  • You must keep your drone at least 30 meters away from other people. You must not fly over or above people in populous area.
  • You must not fly your drone over or near an area affecting public safety or where emergency operations are underway.
  • You must not operate your drone in a way that creates a hazard to another aircraft, person or property.

If you intend to fly your drone for or at work, commercial purposes, there are extra rules you must follow. You will also need to register your drone and get your Remote Pilot Licence (RePL).

8. Do I need to register my drone(s)?

If you fly a drone, or remotely piloted aircraft (RPA), for business or use one as part of your job, you must register it by 28 January 2021.

This applies to all drones that you fly to provide any type of service – no matter how much it weighs. This may include activities such as:

  • selling photos or videos taken from a drone
  • inspecting industrial equipment, construction sites or infrastructure
  • monitoring, surveillance or security services
  • research and development
  • any drone activities on behalf of your employer or business.

You must be 16 or older to register a drone.

You also need to get an RPA operator accreditation if you fly your drone for business or use one as part of your job. You do not need an RPA operator accreditation if you have a remote pilot licence (RePL) or only fly for sport or recreation.

9. Can drones operate in the rain?

Drones are generally not weatherproof however manufacturers design drones with conditions they can be operated in and have ratings to determine conditions in which they cannot be operated. Understanding the drones’ Ingress Protection marker (IP) will reduce drone failure.  An IP rating is a typically two-digit grading system that classifies the degree of protection provided against various types of unwanted intrusion, with the section digit representing the moisture.


Air Inspect Australia provides services across Sunshine Coast, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Melbourne, Regional Victoria, Sydney, Greater Sydney Region, Canberra, Adelaide and Hobart